If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For just my articles, please go to SubStack.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

An email from Mexico:

.





Hello Linh,

I am a frequent Unz Review reader. I was born and raised in Mexico City, but I am very familiar with US culture, as I lived in Texas for two years while attending grad school. I was also very fortunate to attend summer camp as a child many times in upstate New York. I have many wonderful memories and experiences from my times in the US, and I very much appreciate that country. When I criticize imperial politics, a pro US friend holds it against me, arguing that I am some sort of traitor to a country that gave me so much. Of course I don't feel that way, because I have learned to distinguish the people from the government. I have many dear friends there, but I have also been more critical of what is going on, largely because I trust more the alternative press over the mainstream one.

I'd like to congratulate you on your fantastic writing, painting portraits of people all over the world. Your piece on Lucha Libre brought a few tears of laughter, and I have to say your understanding of Mexico is much deeper than most peoples'. I do not think that Lucha Libre is very common among the upper classes in this country, but I have told many friends that a true Mexican should attend at least once in his/her lifetime. Half the show is in the ring, but the other very interesting half of the show is the public itself. Hearing an 80 year old grandma yelling obscenities at the luchadores is priceless.

The level of ignorance and bigotry of some of the comments in the various columns is appalling, but there are also many smart and interesting people among the Unz readers. Please don't let negative comments affect you and keep up the good work.

Warm regards,




.

1 comment:

Ian Keenan said...

Our foreign policy is a clear and unambiguous affront to the will of America's founding fathers and saying so is the opposite of treason.